COVID-19 UPDATEREAD MORE
Makik Sustainability Initiative
Makik is the Inuttitut word meaning “to rise, to stand up” – We rise to the challenge to protect our environment and stand up as a leader for the well-being of our people.
As a community-owned Indigenous company, our goal is to incorporate the values and principles of sustainable development to reflect our deep respect for the environment in which we operate, including the land, sea and ice. Nunacor recognizes its responsibility to respect the environment and is committed to achieve environmental best practices throughout its business operations.
We operate our Makik Sustainability Initiative whereby we strive to reduce our environmental impact and promote sustainability, while also encouraging education and personal health and wellness. Makik is the Inuttitut word meaning “to rise, to stand up” – We rise to the challenge to protect our environment and stand up as a leader for the well-being of our people.
We pledge to:
- Reduce waste and increase recycling.
- Conserve energy and water use.
- Choose nature-friendly products.
- Support local products and services.
- Share our environmental expectations with our suppliers, partners, contractors and customers and encourage them to adopt sound environmental and sustainable practices, such as reducing the amount of packaging and consolidating deliveries.
- Ensure sustainability forms a fundamental part of our strategic plan.
- Incorporate environmental and sustainability awareness as part of our staff training and ensure everyone is involved with its implementation.
- Build a sustainability team – Team Makik, whose primary focus is to develop and enhance our sustainability initiative and practices in line with our policy guidelines.
- Promote and encourage health and well-being among all staff.
- Comply with relevant environmental legislation and take a proactive approach to future requirements and obligations.
- Promote sustainability as a concept in daily operations.
- Support and promote community sustainability focused initiatives.
- Monitor and review our environmental performance on an ongoing basis with a focus on continuous improvement.
Nunacor believes delivering on our Sustainability policy strengthens our performance and sets us up as an industry and community leader. The policy is reviewed annually by a committee led by our Energy and Innovation Specialist.
For more information about our sustainability policy and program, please contact: Niamh Roche – Energy & Innovation Specialist.