JANUARY 17, 2024, HAPPY VALLEY-GOOSE BAY, LABRADOR – Nunacor, the business development arm of the NunatuKavut Community Council, is delighted to announce the Grand Opening of Mamattuk, a culinary gem nestled in the heart of Labrador. Named “delicious” in Inuttitut, Mamattuk promises an unparalleled dining experience featuring elevated comfort food crafted with locally sourced ingredients.
Mamattuk is a celebration of the rich cultural heritage and culinary traditions of NunatuKavut Inuit. Located next to the Royal Inn + Suites, Mamattuk aims to be a gathering place where patrons can savor delectable cuisine, experience the warmth of Labrador hospitality, and celebrate the unique flavors of our region. It will be extremely dynamic in its offerings, serving guests as a restaurant, coffee bar and lounge throughout the day, and will also feature a seasonal patio.
Under the guidance of Executive Chef Nabil Dahmani and General Manager Ernest Kurish, Mamattuk’s menu showcases a fusion of elevated comfort food with Labrador ingredients. Every dish is meticulously crafted, offering a culinary journey that reflects the diversity and richness of Labrador.
Nunacor is proud to emphasize its commitment to supporting local businesses by establishing partnerships with regional farmers, fishers, artisans, and suppliers.
The decor pays homage to the cultural heritage of the region, incorporating elements inspired by Inuit traditions. The restaurant offers a sophisticated yet welcoming ambiance, making it the perfect setting for a memorable dining experience.
All community members, food enthusiasts, and visitors are invited to dine at Mamattuk and enjoy culinary delights, cultural celebration, and be a part of the beginning of a new chapter in Labrador’s gastronomic journey.
- Mamattuk seats 103 guests in the main restaurant space with additional capacity for over 50 guests on a seasonal outdoor patio.
- The restaurant will open to the public at 4PM on Thursday, January 18, 2024. Initial temporary opening hours will be 4PM to 9PM daily and will expand to all-day dining soon.
- Nunacor is a diversified and growing Inuit operation in Labrador with five subsidiary companies and a group of Strategic Alliances in its portfolio. It is the business development arm of the NunatuKavut Community Council (NCC).
- NCC is the representative governing body for approximately 6,000 Inuit who reside primarily in south and central Labrador. Translated from Inuttitut, NunatuKavut means “Our Ancient Land” and refers to their traditional territory.
“I am thrilled to welcome you to Mamattuk—a culinary experience that beautifully intertwines our cultural heritage with innovation. Mamattuk signifies not just a restaurant but a celebration of our community’s richness. Join us in embracing Labrador’s vibrant culinary and cultural journey at Mamattuk.”
— Brenda Williams-Roberts, Chair of the Nunacor Board of Directors
“On behalf of the NunatuKavut Community Council and our Governing Council, we offer congratulations to the Mamattuk team, led by Nunacor and particularly CEO Andy Turnbull, on the official opening of the restaurant. I recently had an opportunity to tour the restaurant and sample the menu. It was a phenomenal experience. I am so impressed by the incorporation of traditional foods and Inuit culture and art — it is a great reflection of our people and communities. The word mamattuk, meaning delicious in Inuttitut, is a very appropriate name as the food offerings are incredibly delicious! We wish you much success. salutivagit – I congratulate you!”
— Todd Russell, President of the NunatuKavut Community Council
“I am thrilled to introduce Mamattuk, our latest venture that not only enriches our hospitality portfolio but also stands as a testament to our commitment to community growth and cultural celebration. Mamattuk represents a culinary journey where locally sourced ingredients meet innovative flavors. We invite everyone to join us in this exciting chapter, savoring delicious moments and embracing the warmth of Labrador hospitality at Mamattuk.”
— Andy Turnbull, CEO of Nunacor
- For information on Mamattuk, please visit mamattuk.com. Please also join in the conversation at Facebook.com/Mamattuk, Instagram @mamattukrestaurant, LinkedIn.com/mamattuk, Twitter @Mamattuk
2C Tenth Street
P.O. Box 148, Station C, Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL A0P 1C0
Telephone: (709) 896-6262
E-mail: [email protected]
Telephone: (709) 899-3205
Email: [email protected]