Junior Sous Chef / Baker – Mamattuk Restaurant
We are seeking a dynamic and passionate individual to join our team as Junior Sous Chef/Baker for our new restaurant; Mamattuk, located in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL.
Mamattuk will be extremely dynamic in its offerings, serving guests as a restaurant, coffee bar, and lounge throughout the day, celebrating Labrador with elevated comfort food featuring local ingredients.
Located next to Royal Inn + Suites, Mamattuk will be a warm and inclusive social hub with an engaging and energizing atmosphere. Pulling inspiration from the land, people, and cultures, the restaurant will combine local charm and world-class hospitality.
The Junior Sous Chef/ Baker plays a key role in ensuring that the business consistently delivers high-quality food products, as well as working cohesively with the owner and front-of-house management to consistently execute the Mamattuk vision for exceptional guest experience. The Junior Sous Chef must set the exemplary standard of execution for their staff by role modelling the expectations set for them by the brand model.
Junior Sous Chef/Baker Roles:
- Be enthusiastic, energetic and demonstrate a genuine positive demeanor throughout the shift while motivating and leading the team
- Ensure every guest receives the Mamattuk food experience and leaves eager to return
- Manage and oversee the culinary operations through action with presence on the cooking line through the service periods
- Supports the culinary execution and training with focus on exemplary culinary standards
- Recipe adherence and menu production management
- Hands on skill and development training of culinary team
- Inventory management conducted through weekly food inventory and inventory ordering
Junior Sous Chef/Baker Competencies:
- Cooking Skills: exceptional level of cooking prowess which ensures that any part of cooking line or culinary operation can be successfully supported
- Genuine Passion: real desire to make other people’s dining experiences special. Encouraging and teaching a passion for all things culinary while keeping artistic flair alive
- Organization: can effectively move between tasks and prioritize appropriately between execution, operational tasks, and cleanliness
- Time Management: effectively manages time to achieve business goals while satisfying the guest service needs
- Communication: able to train and supervise the kitchen staff as well as help them carry out the Chef’s intentions
- Problem Solving: responsive, calm, creative and flexible to ensure operations continue to run smoothly in the face of the unexpected
- Consistency: Approachable by both employees and management. Actions and reactions are consistent to create a safe and comfortable environment for employees and guests
Education and Job Requirements:
- Minimum of 3 years culinary experience in a full-service restaurant
- Minimum 2 year experience in a pastry department
- Experience in a new restaurant opening considered an asset
- Culinary Diploma considered an asset but not required
- Proficient computer skills including but not limited to: POS, inventory software, excel and word
- Food Safety Course and W.H.M.I.S.
- Must be able to carry and lift items weighing 25+, must be able to stoop and bend
- Must be able to stand and move for extended periods of time to continuously perform essential job functions
- Ability to work flexible hours including mornings, days, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays based on business needs
Salary and Benefits:
The benefits and perks are exceptional including a competitive salary, health/dental benefits, RRSP contributions, vacation leave and sick leave.
Mamattuk will open in Fall 2023.
The Nunacor Development Corporation is a progressive and innovative company that prides itself in offering an engaging work environment and positive workplace culture. We understand that our biggest asset is our people and we strive to offer a fulfilling and fun career choice for business professionals.
Nunacor is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals and in which personnel processes are merit-based and applied without discrimination on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.