Commercial Energy Manager
Nunacor’s mission is to cultivate sustainable growth and development opportunities through sound business decisions, strategic partnerships, and innovative thinking. Our vision is to contribute to a prosperous and self-reliant NunatuKavut.
To support this vision, we are now seeking a Commercial Energy Manager who will oversee all aspects of commercial renewable energy development. Commercial renewable energy development is a priority business objective for Nunacor, and this senior position will be responsible for managing and executing energy development throughout NunatuKavut. This function plays a key role in ensuring Nunacor continues its high-growth trajectory by successfully entering attractive, profitable ventures in the commercial renewable energy sector.
The growth of Nunacor’s commercial renewable energy department will require leading all operations, including the development and execution of our commercial energy plan, proposal development, evaluation of proposals, exploration of new opportunities, agreement administration, monitoring of jurisdictional policy, technology evaluation, and collaboration with NunatuKavut Community Council, developers, the utility, stakeholders, and others.
• Lead the development and execution of Nunacor’s commercial renewable energy plan.
• Research, analyze, identify, and develop energy business opportunities. This position requires a manager with a high-level understanding of energy markets, carrying out data modeling and staying current on relevant issues and trends within the energy sector on local, provincial, and national levels. The individual will be responsible for locating, gathering, and analyzing energy data in a proficient and timely manner, to provide information, analysis, and counsel to Nunacor senior management.
• Advise on trends and innovations within the energy sector to Nunacor senior management, policy advisors/policy makers, committees, taskforces, and other working groups.
• Foster positive relationships with key industry stakeholders, including developers, NunatuKavut Community Council, NL Hydro, Government, and others.
• Represents Nunacor at industry stakeholder sessions.
• Make recommendations to lower the environmental impact of new and existing Nunacor businesses and operations.
• Coordinate and recommend direction on project financing sources.
• Build and maintain relationships with potential development partners.
• Lead the development of project funding proposals and collaborate with partners, funders and contractors to ensure effective completion of deliverables.
• Act as the main contact for commercial energy related work with government agencies, members of the business community and NunatuKavut Community Council membership.
• Read, analyze, and interpret common business plans, financial reports, technical reports, and legal documents.
• Present information to Nunacor senior management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
• Develop, read, and analyze project budgets and contracts, and analyze financial statements.
• Collaborate with internal teams and project stakeholders to identify issues and opportunities, providing in-depth analysis and recommendations to senior management.
• Travel throughout NunatuKavut communities.
• Other duties as required.
• Project management experience with managing multiple projects and working with senior level project members in a variety of settings.
• A demonstrated understanding of policy and policy making environment, as well as an understanding of climate and energy policy-making processes, particularly in Canada (federally, provincially and/or territorially).
• Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting and re-purposing research and best practices in a timely and effective manner.
• Analytical and adaptable, able to work under pressure, take initiative, and bring creativity to the role.
• Excellent customer service/client relations skills, excellent oral and written communication skills, and problem-solving skills.
Education and/or Experience
• Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree in Engineering and/or Energy related field.
• Five to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Previous experience in contract or agreement negotiations.
• Strong project management experience.
• Experience in renewable energy development would be an asset.
• Experience in policy analysis and working with Indigenous communities.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to travel within Canada.
• Attractive salary and benefits package, including employer contributions for retirement savings plan (RRSP or TFSA) and/or health and dental insurance
• An exceptional employee leave program that includes vacation leave (20 prorated days), cultural leave, holidays, personal responsibility leave and sick leave.
• Annual travel allowance and wellness bonus.
• A commitment to professional development (including yearly PD allowance), continuous learning, and promotion opportunities.
• Under our Makik Sustainability initiative we offer employee wellness workshops, monthly Makik Feasts as well as regular team activities to celebrate our successes and culture.
The location of this position is flexible, with requirements for time to be spent at Nunacor Development Corporation Head Office in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, as well as throughout NunatuKavut Communities.
Nunacor and its subsidiary companies are ISO 9001 Quality Management Certified and ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Certified.
All resumes will be kept confidential. Nunacor is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals and in which personnel processes are merit-based and applied without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Deadline for submissions: March 07, 2024 at 4 PM AST.